Friday 22 April 2011

Waiting Outside the Lines Ch. 3 {Part 4}

Katherine knocked on the Michaels front door, her hair blowing slightly in the breeze. She felt the sun on the back of her legs, and she squinted behind her sunglasses from the glare off the glass. She heard a woman's voice from inside the house before the knob turned and Kat was looking up at Russell's mother. "Hello Mrs. Michaels," Katherine said politely, a smile on her face. She pushed up her sunglasses so the woman could see her eyes. "Oh, Katie, just call me Donna," Mrs. Michaels said. "Come on in. I've just started preparing dinner. Would you like to stay for supper?" "I don't want to intrude," Kat said as she stepped inside and Donna closed the door behind her. The inside of the house was decorated with dark, rich colors, highlighted with bright bursts of color here and there. Pictures of the four Michaels, and different combinations of two or three of them peppered the walls and table tops. "You won't be intruding. Besides, we would love to have you over. Russell said you told him you missed good ole American food. Well, Bobby's making steak," Donna said with a smile as she led Kat through a hallway into the kitchen. The offer seemed like too much to pass up. "That sounds amazing," Katherine said with a grin. "Do you need any help?" "Do you have any ideas for sides? I know we could have baked potatoes or a salad, but I wanted to make things different," Donna mused as she washed her hands. "I have a recipe for twice baked potatoes that I learned from my grandma ...