Saturday 19 June 2010

Children's Preschool Games - Household Chores With Your Toddler

To a toddler most everyday chores can be made into a game, and mopping, dusting, washing, and brushing are just a few. You can either buy 'toy' household cleaning items, or what seems to be much more fun, is helping Mom by using hers. Kids love to copy and help, all the more when they are praised for their help.

I have a dustpan and brush that just my toddler uses, this way I know it is clean, and he just loves brushing up crumbs when he's eaten a biscuit, or thrown cereal all over the floor. This 'game' also helps him understand that you have to clean up if you've made a mess. Of course your little helper will probably be more of a hindrance than a help, but it is fun to a toddler and does help them learn about chores around the house that have to be done,

Other chores that work well with kids 'helping':

Sweeping up leaves outside. The 'big brush' seems too big for my 'helper' but he manages quite well, and insists on brushing up, even when there is nothing to sweep.

Filling and emptying the washing machine. Folding and putting away clothes follows on from this, and can include pairing up socks, sorting clothes into a pile for each member of the family.

Washing up. My son loves washing up his dishes after meals. OK, so I let him do this more in the summer - outside. Plastic crockery is a must as it means no breakages!

Window cleaning. A soft cloth with no cleaner on is perfect for your little one to help keep the windows clean. With lots of praise, they will be really pleased that they have been such a big help. Do make sure the window is secure, firmly locked shut, and at ground level - shut doors are great.

Washing the car. A favourite with my son. He just loves the bubbles, the water, 'being grown up' an d getting very very wet!

Never leave your child unattended while they are 'helping' you with chores.




Jane Rainford.

When I was pregnant, I looked to the internet for information, but what I got was information overload. Never having been pregnant before it was all so overwhelming, I had so many questions, the internet seemed a good place to start. Once my baby was born I didn't have the time to be searching for answers, though I still had so many questions. As he is growing, I really want to pass on all I've learned to other parents who have questions, want answers, just want a laugh or to know there are other mums out there tearing their hair out too. I'm no expert, I'm a mum - hang on maybe that does make me an expert! And boy do you learn a lot after baby is born!

I run http://www.onlinemum.com From bump to toddler.